Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Have A Living God

Since one of the intentions of this blog was to post about my songs, I figured I’d get back to that purpose, starting with the song, I Have A Living God. (You can listen to a clip of it here).


The basis of this song goes back several years. One Sunday night, one of my six brothers gave a testimony to our church about what God was doing in his life. After graduating with his master's degree, he was offered a nice job with the government. After much prayer, seeking and fasting, he turned it down in order to pursue the Lord's leading in His life, which he believed was to forsake his nets and follow Christ (Mk.1:19). God's blessing on his life soon became evident as he was provided with a house and a wife :-) He was living proof that a man can forsake all for the gospel's sake, and God will take care of him. As he expounded on everything that had happened, he gave the reason for it all, saying, "I have a living God." That thought was embedded in my mind. Years later, as I was teaching in a public high school, I observed many things going on in the lives of my students - tragedies, distress, broken hearts. One day, as I was thinking of all the situations that unsaved teenagers go through, I realized that basically the same situations happen to all people, lost or saved. So as a Christian, what made the difference for me in my response to circumstances compared to the response of a person who doesn't know Christ? It is this: I have a living God, a God who is alive and works on my behalf for my good. I am not like the world. I have Someone who I can turn to when life throws its darts at me. And He is not just any God - He is, like Judah's King Hezekiah said, the living God (II Kings 19:4,16). And that makes all the difference.

"As I look around the world, and I see the people near,
And I face the same things they do, from just living on down here;
Will I respond the same way they do? Will I worry, stress, despair?
Have I forgotten that I'm different, that I can cast away my care?

I have a living God, I'm not like the world
I have Someone to turn to when life's darts at me are hurled.
I have a living God; He is not dead.
He is real and He's alive. I will trust in Him instead.

As I look back can I remember how He led me through each day.
Do I think He won't continue to guide me His way?
Will I wallow in despair, or will I claim the victory?
For King Jesus already won, and He gives that right to me!

I have a living God, I'm not like the world
I have Someone to turn to when life's darts at me are hurled.
I have a living God; He is not dead.
He is real and He's alive. I will trust in Him instead."


(This is my brother, his wife, and their first son at an international bazaar last year. The traditional Chinese dress was given to them by friends :-)

1 comment: